Flax Meal Strawberry Waffle
This is quite simply a most decadent *P3* meal in itself! We have it for breakfast several times a week on P3. The first batch of waffles turn out really light and crispy, the second batch after batter has thickened are a bit more dense, but also delicious. I also use this recipe for the "focaccia style" flat bread, but I only use 3 eggs and do NOT wait for it thicken; then spread it to the edges of a 33x23 non-stick pan. I bake it for 20-25 min., let cool and cut with spatula in 12 even squares; it turns out light and yummy for sandwiches. Our Bullmastiff, CB, absolutely *loves* the bread and I feed him one square per day as an afternoon snack - you should see his face light up when I get it out for him!
2 C Flax Meal
1 T. Baking Powder
3 T. Just Like Sugar (or powdered Stevia equivalent)
1 tsp. Himalayan Sea Salt (or other sea salt)
1/2 C Water
1/3 C Safflower or Sunflower Oil
1) Get out your Belgian Waffle maker and heat up.
2) Whisk together Flax meal, baking powder, JLS, and salt until
3) In another bowl, whisk eggs well and add oil and water.
4) Combine wet into dry ingredients and whisk together well.
5) Using a 1/3 cup dry measure, scoop flax mixture onto waffle
iron, one scoop per waffle (mine is a 4-waffle iron - adjust accordingly for regular flat walffles). Close lid and let bake for about 5 minutes.
6) Separate and lift out carefully. Repeat as above, except only 3 waffles this time (batter thickens while waiting for first four to bake) - makes 7 waffles.
2 - 16oz. pkg. Fresh Strawberries (you could use frozen if not in
Liquid Stevia, to taste (I prefer the taste of liquid to powder)
1) Clean and trim tops from strawberries.
2) Put about 1/2 of them in blender and pulse until puree, and slice the remaining strawberries.
4) Combine sliced berries with strawberry puree and sweeten with Stevia to taste.
5) Spoon onto a waffle as desired.
Heavy Whipping Cream
(or, for a bit of a cheat, "Natural By Nature Classic Whipped Cream" in spray can - it's a lot less calories, but only a few grams of sugar - NO effect on stabilizing our weight).
1) Assemble as pictured/desired, or to create even more visual appeal, you can even sprinkle a bit of flax meal on whip cream and then top off with a strawberry.
Waffle w/ Strawberry Topping
4 servings (each, excluding whipped cream):
Carbs: 20 gm
Fat: 14 gm
Protein: 4.5 gm
Focaccia Style Flat Bread
12 servings (each)
Carbs: 11 gm
Fat: 8 gm
- By Adaria
Article is closed for comments.